Saturday 26 July 2014

Doctor Who Books Read and Heard, Part 11!

And after that last Dalek Extravaganza (she exaggerates happily), back to the regular and eccentric reading of the Who books!  This post: treats from the eras of the First, Third, Fourth, Sixth, Seventh, and even some that don't exist on TV, via a short story collection.

A note on order.  Target Originals are not read in order of publication (which was all over the place), but in order of each Doctor, and each Doctor is read in order of their stories broadcast on TV.  However, I jump about in terms of which Doctor I read at any given time.  The Virgin New Adventures for Sylvester will be read in order; as will the BBC 8th Doctor series (as though they had been on TV, see?  I’m trying to get an arc flavour).  The BBC Past Doctors series and the Virgin Missing Adventures are simply read in terms of which one I fancy next, as they are stand alone adventures slotting in-between the TV ones.
Oh, and in case you forgot, I’ve taken to recording which books I read that are actual paper copies, and which are Kindle or other electronic.  I’m being social historical for my own benefit. I want to see how long it is before I just plug books straight into my brain, how many years before I’m a reading cyborg.
 
As always with these rambly reviews: SPOILERS ON ALL BOOKS IMMINENT!!!!
 
 
  1. Doctor Who: Mark of the Rani, by Pip and Jane Baker (Target original)
    (6th Doctor.  Hmmm.  I really enjoyed watching this one, but found the book unconvincing.  Partially because of some clumsy and hackneyed word and phrase usage; and partially because I objected to the whole yurning into a tree thing near the end.  For some reason, I found this perfectly plausible to watch, and an insult to my intelleigence written.  Maybe it’s the way it was written?  I wanted to get a nice feel of the age and its values and problems, its atmosphere – as I felt I did do watching; but reading I just felt like I was having a story told to me, with action driving, and hardly any extras that I would have found interesting, handled at all.  A failure, for me, as a historical – but unsure why this is.  Don’t want to buy in on the Pip and Jane bashing I see elsewhere, though I do think, as I said, some of the writing was lazy.  I think its possible this story was considerably thinner than it appeared on watching, a fact hidden by the excellent BBC mastery of the look of a historical story – which my eyes would have been very busy enjoying, and that the tale may have lacked sense in the first place…ACTUAL BOOK.)
  2. Doctor Who: Planet of the Giants, by Terrance Dicks (Target original)
    (1st Doctor.  HMMMMMM.  I think this on should nowadays be called Planet of Monsanto.  Its seems oddly prescient with all the discussion we have now about GM food, and pesticides that kill bees and wreck the basis of the food-chain, that this story handled a very similar issue in the ‘60s.  I enjoyed this one, slightly told though it was, and read in two short evening spates.  It was very visual, full of Barbara being histrionic and rightly, and felt oddly plausible despite it being sort of silly – miniaturization stories have never done it for me, except for The Fantastic Voyage! A small and sort of silly story that tackles some very real and vital issues – what an odd combination…ACTUAL BOOK.)
  3. Doctor Who: Delta and the Bannermen, by Malcom Kohll (Target original)
    (This is such an interesting one.  When I first saw it on TV it almost derailed my Sylvester marathon and appreciation completely [I wasn’t watching in order, and had just seen Battlefield and Ghostlight, so it had stuff to live up to].  But then Fluffhead liked it a lot, so I ended up watching it many many MANY times.  The more I did, the more I appreciated its quirkiness.  I loved the countryside setting, I loved the Navarinos, I loved Ken Dodd, I loved Delta and her sad dignity. I found Billy’s wanting to change species to be with her very sweet.  I even didn’t mind the green baby, the annoyance of the Bannermen – who were really very bad soldiers when you think about it and the minute their leader was gone they just fell apart.  Tsk.  I felt oddly unconnected to it while reading; then about half way through I clicked in and enjoyed its oddness immensely – Goronwy and the honey – what is that all about??  What a strange and unnecessary character; but I’m very glad he’s there. ACTUAL BOOK.)
  4. Doctor Who: Short Trips and Side Steps: Short Story Anthology, edited by Stephen Cole and Jacqueline Rayner (BBC)
    (There were 3 BBC Short Trips collections of short stories, before Big Finish took over, and of course, I have logically started on the 3rd and last one.  I saw some reviews of this one before reading – not usually something I do, it was an accident – and I can see why a lot of people weren’t that enamoured of this collection.  I can’t – yet, obviously – speak for the quality of the other 2 BBC Short Trips, but this one was patchy.  I can see from the Introduction that they wanted to have fun and play with the concept – have new Doctors there never were; have some homage pastiche type stories; tell sillier humorous stories, or stories that were alternately dark and light and silly or just playful.  Some of these work, and some of them are …well, when I was in my heyday of horror film watching [she says, settling down for a quick anecdote the way American TV so often does], I used to absolutely HATE when I saw a film that spoofed horrors.  I used to like my horror straight  and that was that – I wanted it scary and gruesome.  Not ironic or self referential or any other genre pastiching shitey.  Nowadays, if its done well, and there are lots of references that make me feel a bit sort of sad trap clever, I don’t mind a spoof so much…but this short story collection is a spoof in many ways.  So if you like your Who serious and straight and in character for each era – then there are bits of this you won’t like because it messes with parts of the concept, and outright mocks in places.  Depends if you feel humourous when you come to read it as to whether you’ll feel its affectionate mockery or blasphemy.  Some stories I really liked: The Longest Story in the World [quirky Who genesis tale]; Special Occasions 1: The Not So Sinister Sponge [where Gareth Roberts accompanied by Clayton Hickman does what he does so it works just fine and I didn’t find the idea of a planet made of desserts any weirder than you’d really think I should – that was also when I realised how odd this collection was going to be]; Nothing At The End of The Lane, had several parts to it [Daniel O’Mahony tells just about the most disturbing and nightmarish story for the mentally nervous I’ve read in some time – it infected my ideas about Barbara for quite a while after reading – this one was VERY disturbing – serious scary, almost Adam Nevillish].  The Android Maker of Calderon IV was short sweet and snigger funny; Revenants was clever but I did not like the imaginary new Doctor at all [is this simply my prejudice against open toed shoes and that kind of hair?????].  The House on Oldark Moor was walking a very fine line between serious and pastiche and did it very well, as did Countdown to TV Action which chose to attack that line a different way [“I’m a Scientist!”].  Monsters by Tara Samms had a realistic and very tragic feel.  A real issue dealt with scarily from a psychological point of view, in the middle of a Doctor Who story – I liked that. Storm in a Tikka, was outlandish but very well written and I liked the story not being disturbed by the fact it was humourous.  Vrs – right at the end of the book and a one liner not a story [just the kind of thing I’d tell as a parody story to Fluffhead  to make him laugh before bed], will test your ideas of what you think is funny.  This was a good collection, in that some of it was so inventive and funny.  And some of it will appeal to others!  The Daniel O’Mahoney was my favourite story just because it had SUCH a strong tone and really caught me because it’s use of language and its atmosphere never let up – even when you find out what is going on, its still a nightmare.  ACTUAL BOOK.)
  5. Doctor Who: Paradise of Death, by Barry Letts (Target Original)
    (This was one of the slowest burning books I’ve ever read.  I was quite bored by the beginning, especially the cliché overemphasis in the vocalisation of Sarah Jane.  I also couldn’t stand Chairman Freeth and Tragan – two more overdone villains of each type you couldn’t hope to find.  But I persisted, and about halfway through the book – which is a lot longer than I usually persist – I started to find it good.  Once it got to the offworld planet and issues of virtual reality, the rapine that could grow anywhere and be made into anything [another Monsanto prescience there by author], and the strangely spiritual Onya, I became more and more engrossed.  Sarah Jane’s affection for Waldo and the many small details that started to make the pictured world more and more interesting and real pulled me further and further in till I felt I was watching something as epic, sparkly and tacky as the Flash Gordon remake – and that is not an insult, its one of my favourite films!  So after a very bad start, I ended up liking this one an awful lot.  I haven’t yet heard the radio play it’s based on, written for – though I have it.  I’ll review that separately when I get to it.  ACTUAL BOOK.)
  6. Doctor Who: The Revenge of the Cybermen, by Terrance Dicks (Target Original)
    (I enjoyed this one a lot more than when I saw it on TV.  I had forgotten everything after the initial 2 episodes I always end up watching with Fluffhead.  I thought the 2 factions and their use of the gold, their infighting etc well written.  I felt sorry for Sarah Jane and Harry who seemed to spend a lot of the plot being hapless and getting ill or in the way, or trying to help and creating further complications…which, I know, is the definition of what a ‘companion’ is for in this era of Who writing…but it was a little heavy handed.  However, I enjoyed this one – there was more to it than I remembered, which was good.  ACTUAL BOOK.)
  7. Doctor Who: The Curse of Peladon, by Brian Hayles (Target Original)
    (I appear to be alone in having enjoyed this one on TV and also having enjoyed the book!  I like the politics of Peladon, I like the fanaticism of Hepesh and the indecision of a young king stuck between tradition and new ways.  I like the portrayal of the Ice Warriors in particular, their resourcefulness and honour.  I liked Arcturus turning out to be a villain!  I like Jo getting opinionated and shouting at just about everybody by the time the book is over!  I like the way I ended up counting how many times Jon Pertwee said ‘old chap’ to someone [I started counting a third of the way through the book so I don’t actually have an accurate total to report back to you!].  From the materialisation of the TARDIS on the cliff through to the attempted coup at the end and the politics in between, I found this one chuntered along very satisfyingly.  I was pleased!  Also, I do love the ‘haroon haroon haroon’ bit!  Which they do not actually use as a direct quote in the book, it merely says: ‘the Doctor chanted’ – which is a shame, as it’s a very memorable moment.  ACTUAL BOOK.)

No comments:

Post a Comment