Monday 10 March 2014

Something Beautiful to Honour Spring - from my friend Terry Bat-Sonja

This is a post that was meant to go up around Christmas, and was in fact a refugee from last year's Guest season -  BJ's Season of Late Summer Love!  It's been waiting patiently for me to remember to put it up.  Its the set of photos from my artist friend, Terry Bat-Sonja.  We've been friends for years though she is far away across the seas.  She's one of the most playful people I know, but today I'm going to show you her more serious side. 

She takes photos of anything and everything, and I always love them - from her season of shadows on things, to her work with flowers and leaves.  And reflections from water or glass.  These are just a few of her lovely pictures, that I particularly liked, and in no particular order.  I just thought you'd find them pretty too.  They are everyday scenes she sees while she's out - but I like her eye, she pays attention and it makes everything she sees more beautiful.

She sent me a small bio, so you can know a little about her - here you go:
Terry Bat-Sonja was born in South Africa and, as a child lived briefly in Ireland, Brazil and Israel, before her family landed in New York city, where she lived in a slightly illegal loft with her parents. Her father being a sculptor, until they moved upstate New York. She is a painter, sculptor poet and maybe photographer. She has a BFA from the School of Visual Arts in New York City and an MFA from SUNY Albany. Terry has two sons and two cats and she lives with the latter upstate New York, and teaches  from time to time at Fulton Montgomery Community College. 

***
I asked Terry to particularly send me some of her nature photos - just plants and trees etc seen while she's out and about.  It made me want to go and live with her in her pocket, so I could see through her eyes!  I was going to do a commentary with these, and as she's a poet also, I was thinking of asking her to supply little couplets or something.  Then I thought, nope.  This is a feast for the eye, the photos will stand alone.







Doesn't it make you feel like spring is coming?  Doesn't it make you breathe the air deeply and either smile with bliss or reach for your inhaler?!

I love Terry's eye.  Lastly,  now we have welcomed Spring, which seems to be finally here (touch wood), and honoured it with such lovely images, I think we should honour the photographer herself. 

All bow to Terry, who's eyes I envy! I love the way she's hidden behind her shot and behind the reflection.  Thankyou for these pics Terry - and I'll be bothering you again for some Summer honouring photos soon!

All Hail Spring!  Really loudly, mind, or it might Go Away Again...




ALL PHOTOS COPYRIGHT TERRY BAT-SONJA.



No comments:

Post a Comment